ACLEA - The Association of Continuing Legal Education is holding their 47th Mid-Year Meeting in San Francisco from January 22nd to the 25th. With a fantastic agenda and several interesting events planned, I'm excited to be attending and presenting.
There are many reasons to attend, especially to take advantage of the collegiality and knowledge-sharing with which this industries experts are so generous, but I wanted to highlight a few reasons - most featuring me!
If you're able to come out "early" for the Saturday programs, there are two options that cover the bases for anyone in the CLE world, from a newbie to a veteran.
"New Member Orientation and CLE Boot Camp": Running from 8:15am to 4:15pm, the sessions within the Camp are basic level, and the overall curriculum is designed to help you in all areas of CLE programming and publications. Taught by “old-timers”, you will walk away with lots of information to help you in your own organization. Sessions include:
- Program Planning from A to Z (Vincent O'Brien - Minnesota CLE)
- The Basics of Marketing CLE Products: From Ideas to Follow-up (Karen D. Lee - Oregon State Bar)
- Technology and CLE (Paul F. Wood - Legal Education Society of Alberta)
- In-House/Professional Development (Jan F. Majewski - Holland & Knight LLP)
- Publications (Dawn M. McKnight - Colorado Bar Association CLE)
- Round Table Discussion (Karen D. Lee - Oregon State Bar)
- The MCLE Application and Reporting Process (Gina Roers - West Professional Development)
- Finances and Negotiation Techniques (Donna J. Passons - Texas Institute of CLE)
- Panel of Experts
Also on Saturday is the workshop "Hands-On Social Media: The Basics". In this interactive session, you will cover the practical “how-to” basics of social media. Set up a Facebook profi le, connect with friends, and ensure your privacy settings are set to your comfort level. Get a Twitter account and learn who to follow in the CLE realm. Register for LinkedIn and add connections. Discover how easy it is to set up a blog. In a single day, you can get connected. Bring your laptops – this course is totally hands-on! Presented by:
- Peter H. Berge – Minnesota CLE
- Alli Gerkman – Colorado Bar Association CLE
- Matthew Homann – LexThink LLC
- Gina Roers – West Professional Development
- Christopher A. Sharpe – State Bar of Texas
The conference begins on Sunday morning and is full of too many interesting and timely sessions to list. The full agenda is available here.
With engaging speakers, networking luncheons and events, and opportunities to learn (both formally and informally) from a wide variety of the CLE industry's best - ACLEA's meetings are not to be missed! The fact that the program is being held in San Francisco in January (they wisely decided not to choose my home state of Minnesota for the meeting - it is 40 degrees colder here than there today!) doesn't hurt either!
There is still time to register for the conference and the pre-conference boot camps. Go to ACLEA's site for more information.